Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Along the West coast of the US, two more citizens

Frank Trueba from Felton, California USA, says this about his contribution:

My ancestry is Spanish and I found when I visited relatives in Spain as a child it gave me a better perspective as a citizen of the world. I also became acutely interested and educated in the contributions of Spanish culture to the world and thus have tried to carve something that encompasses all that. Hopefully my image is recognizable as an outline of Spain containing a famous depiction of Don Quixote de la Mancha. 

While there are many images of Spanish culture I could have chosen (bull, flamenco dancer, etc) I find that an image of Don Quixote rendered by Picasso does the best in capsulizing the range and breath of Spanish contributions to world culture: the Cervantes novel, first published in 1605, is considered, by many, to be the first modern novel and unarguably the greatest piece of literature of the Spanish Golden Age and Picasso's (1881-1973) contributions to art are also inescapable--together they symbolize centuries of Spanish contributions to art and literature.


A personal favorite since I'm also from Spain! Thank you Frank.

And our infatigable Baren Mall Manager and so many other things Barbara Mason in Aloha Oregon USA, sends us this image and a cool t-shirt! for me:


********

These days the wood chips are flying as I carve out the "skeleton" blocks (the large blocks that hold everything together). I'm also placing all the little blocks in their place, solving potential printing problems and replacing the missing citizens. Much to do yet and photos are forthcoming. 

All is going according to plan although I feel that there isn't enough time to get it all done before the printing party. If you missed the announcement for the printing party, look back a couple of blog posts to find it. It's shaping up to be a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment