Monday, February 11, 2008

Woodcut puzzles



There's an activity I engage in every couple of years or so, and that is to bring printmakers together to make a print. These collaborations baffle those who know me as a loner, but nevertheless, they continue to fascinate me.

The procedure is simple, take a block of wood, draw something, chop it up into pieces and send the pieces to the various participants. Each woodcutter cuts their piece of wood and sends it back to me, I put it together, print it and send the completed prints to everyone.

IN progress is the Cairn, information is here:
http://www.1000woodcuts.com/projects/cairn/index.html

Completed is the first puzzle, a Web:
http://www.1000woodcuts.com/projects/puzzle/finalimage.html

Undoubtedly, there will be more...

2 comments:

  1. Maria, what a great idea! It reminds me of the ATC artists who trade cards and sometimes publish books of different cards or posters of the cards. They makes a beautiful composite.

    Your works are so lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joyce!
    I'm on my second puzzle project and already planning the third as I print the blocks of this one.
    Should be done next week or one week after. It really is surprising how unrelated images can come together so well.
    Fun to lead these! Maria

    ReplyDelete