Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Four more makes twenty-eight pieces of peace

Enjoy the latest!

Birds, bunnies and other critters seem to be a recurring symbol for peace, as are children. Interesting! Maybe we should have our world leaders rescue pets and volunteer in orphanages to make them mellower and more peaceful, what do you think?! Brilliant, I say...

Wendy Morris
Spokane Washington USA



Nancy Nastari
Brasil - Guaruja

The essence of the nature of birds is the freedom to fly, are related to beauty and tranquility of living. No matter how the day dawns, they are always singing, express unity, joy and pleasant moments. His singing conveys peace and your flight is connecting the earth and heavenly plans!


Martha Knox Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA marfknox@gmail.com

"I changed my mind about a dozen times on what to draw on my block. The first things that came to mind were symbols of peace, but that was too obvious. Then I thought about figures from history famous for working toward peace, but that felt too specific for a big, collaborative project. Then I started thinking about images from nature, such as maybe a tortoise, elephant, or owl, that are associated with patience and wisdom. But nothing I came up with really resonated with my personally.
Finally, I realized that I'd completely over-thought the whole thing and felt stuck. So I emptied my head and asked myself when in my own life do I feel most at peace. And the answer was when I'm reading to my girls before bedtime.
Now as I was drawing and carving, I didn't exactly consider how this block will be oriented when it is put back into the larger piece. I simply came up with an image that fit the way it fit. So the girls will be upsidedown in the final piece. But I'm okay with that because the overall design for the puzzle is very fluid and it seems as if things are being gently blown all around the composition. And after all, Marc Chagall never had a problem with people's heads being upsidedown! "


Caroline Maddison
Talybont.  Wales. UK
www.carolinemaddison.co.uk

Wales is steeped in old folklore, legends and some wonderful dramatic landscapes and wildlife.
One such legend that engaged me was of St Melangell, the welsh patron saint of hares. The story of Melangell came about in the 7th century.
 Brochwell, the Prince of Powys was hunting and pursuing a hare, the hare took refuge under Melangell`s cloak. The prince`s hounds stopped in their tracks, turned and fled. The Prince was so moved by her courage that he gave her the valley as a place of sanctuary. Melangell had a church built on that very spot and became Abbess of a small religious community. She was buried there and the church today is a place of pilgrimage.
As this place is not far from where I live, I decided to visit .I am not a particularly religious person but as soon as I arrived, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and spirituality. It was beyond words and is an experience that has stayed with me.
I feel honoured to be part of this world wide collaboration with such a powerful and positive theme. My personal experience of peace at St Melangell`s church and my carving of the hare is my small contribution to this project.


Stay in touch!

1000woodcuts Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/1000woodcuts 
Maria's Facebook Profile: https://www.facebook.com/maria.arango.diener 
Maria's Twitter Profile: https://twitter.com/1000woodcuts 
1000woodcuts YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/1000woodcuts/videos

No comments:

Post a Comment