Friday, August 9, 2013

As they trickle in, you get to meet them!

Important Dates and Notes

Only three weeks to go to the deadline! August 31st is fast approaching.
Please send your image information as soon as you know what you are doing via this page:
http://puzzleprints.blogspot.com/p/2013-fantastic-garden.html


Three more contributions

Ah, let's see, I placed the wildflower where a Mojave wildflower might grow after a spring of sporadic showers and a bit of luck. Sometimes the desert explodes with an incredible variety of color from the blooms of wildflowers but if you think about an excursion for too long...you missed them! The harsh desert dries them out within days. This one apparently likes the mulch in the dry trunk and the light shade of a Tamarisk tree.

The garden hose I placed in the convoluted leaves of our very natural Mojave Yucca, which sends out shoots with wonderful blooms in spring and throughout summer. Tough little plant feeds hummingbirds and various seed eaters help spread the tasty pods.

And finally, the ladybird beetles are everywhere here too! The clever arrangement reminded me of the prickly pear cactus fruit, so I placed them on a growing leaf under a maturing tasty fruit. Careful with the spines! The Paiute Indians used yucca leaves to both grasp and brush the fruit until no spines remained. The red mature prickly pears are very sweet!

Nancy Osadchuk - Calgary Alberta CANADAI find my eyes are starting to play tricks on me and I don't like that! I chose this wildflower that has more common names than it needs. Prairie Smoke, Old Man's Whiskers, Sleepy Heads, Blood Drops, etc…otherwise Geum triflorum. I grew up in the country and just have to have some wildflowers in my garden and this is one of my favorites; one way to get country into the city! I did not proof it except with rubbing but painted it with ink to make the carving easier to see.
Rich Fowler - San Francisco Bay Area USA
The garden hose never fails to kink or wrap itself around a bush, a clay pot, itself, or my leg. Many thanks to Maria for organizing this wonderful project.

Carole Carroll - Seattle Washington USAThis trio of ladybird beetles will protect the garden from harmful aphids.


Fantastic Garden Headquarters: http://puzzleprints.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment