Friday, February 10, 2012

Cold country and then another trip across the ocean

Preston Lawing from Winona, Minnesotta USA says this about his amazing contribution:
This block is a nod to my time living in New York City in the 1970s and 80's, the influence of Edward Hopper, and the views from my apartment in Greenwich Villiage.

Thanks for letting me share part of my time in a great City of the World.




And the incomparable Andy English, wood engraver from Ely, Cambridgeshire in the United Kingdom not only sent his city block but a priceless collection of tiny jewels he calls prints.


This wonderful city of ours should have a printing press so I have used my block to celebrate the Victorian Albion hand presses that I use in my studio. We can see the wonderful medieval cathedral at Ely from our house and it frequently appears in my work and so I have suggested its unique profile through a window.




Perhaps I should say here that one of the most delightful part of this project is being on the receiving end of the generosity of so many participants.
The gifts, cards, deliciously hand-written notes, little prints, atta-girls, etc, etc... all of them really make me want to open the next package, scan the news from across the country or across the world, and delight in the "inclusions".

Many of you mention that I have amazing energy, and that undertaking a project like this one requires some degree of recklessness. Maybe, but reaching out to so many art-loving people across the globe and receiving their kind gifts and words is more rewarding than I can express in words. My energy is fed by all the love.

Moving right along!


No comments:

Post a Comment